Thursday 14 October 2010

TV Star!!

One thing that keeps cropping up when investigating what people think about how milk is produced is animal welfare.
One thing is true; if you do not look after your cows health they will not produce milk.
Welfare although linked to health is a slightly different thing- how can i tell if my cow is happy?
This week Karen Lancaster from DairyCo came to teach me about Cow Signals. This is a way of seeing if your cows are happy by checking various "signals" like how many cows are lying down in cubicles, if any have bruised hocks or even something called dancing cows (which is a cow standing on here own moving her weight from one foot to another.
The worst thing about all this was that I ended up on TV and Radio locally looking for all intents and purposes like a startled rabbit.
I must investigate Cow Signals further as it could be a way to measure how happy your cows are whichever system of mangement you use.
One thing I did learn- I need media training!!

No comments:

Post a Comment