Thursday 9 December 2010

The end of the middle bit

I am writing the end of this travelog back in the UK.
Its funny how you can lose internet when travelling and then with all the best intentions completely lose time whne you return home.
The weather doesn't help so memories of warmer places come flooding back.
After my very tiring fly around the Lincoln University and Synlait milk plant in Canterbury, I spent a couple of well earner rest nights (and one day) in Christchurch.
I managed to meet up briefly with an old mate Andy Fox, I went to the Canterbury Show (met up with fellow Nuffield Arwyn from Wales who is still over there!!) and did a bit of culture seeing the Ron Mueck exhibition as well as a visit to the theatre. Excellent fun all round.
                                                   I resist the temptation for a joke. This is art.
After my little jolly in Christchurch ( did I tell you I love Christchurch?) I spun off down the road to Temuka to meet with David Ellis who has a large scale farming operation in the sensitive MacKenzie Country.
The area is of outstanding natural beauty and was used in the Lord of the Rings films. It is very much on the tourist trail but with a little irrigation this relatively cheap sheep grazing land can become very productive grazing.
An application has recently been lodged to build (shock horror) CUBICLE housing for cows in the area for about 18000 cows. This has caused a similar debate (or is that furore) to the one caused in Nocton. There seems to be a similar theme of farmers who for their own very good reasons are planning a big operation but are trying to impose it on a community rather than negotiate it in. There really is a lesson in public relations here.
                                          Look at this picture postcard view. Mackenzie NZ
After this I traveled down to meet Les Keeper a fellow Nuffield from a few years back. He has very conflicting ideas on NZ Dairy structure, and sold out his industry shares to invest in property in Queenstown; (a bit like Keswick only better) Sitting in his hot tub discussing the merits of his actions while looking over to some of the most expensive real estate in NZ I can't help thinking he may be right.
                                               Les lives in Queenstown- look at my little pot belly...
After leaving Les's millionaire pad in Queenstown I travelled back through some of the most stunning scenery in the world.
I arrived in time for tea at Desiree and Paul's house in Temuka on the East coast. I last visited this area 23 years ago and there are lots more cows there now. The average size of herd in NZ is now 300 cows but many in the South Island are well over this. Des and Paul have big plans to increase their herd and buy more farms... they are doing a great job so far.
Des took me to meet other farmers in the area including her Dad who has a very tidy operation in partnership with another couple the farm was brand new and was very professional. He is also a very clever inventor... I must remember to ask about his electronic ID kit. The prototype in his garden looked a little like a clothes dryer , but it seemed to work well at a fraction of the price.
Andy and Rachel Morris had worked their way from very little to owning 2 herds of cows each about 400 cows. They got there via hard work on hill stations, joint venture with sheep and beef, selling shares in businesses at a personal loss, but all in the name of moving forward at all times. They are an inspiration and are currently working on ideas to help water management, which will improve farmers efficiencies as well as their image!
Andy Palmer who lives on Muff Road (why did I remember his address) is also working hard to improve farmers image by planting natural vegetation back onto parts of his farm not used for grazing.
My time in NZ is nearly up, and so is this part of my Nuffield Research (I know it looks like a jolly, but honestly....)
Thanks to Des and Paul, Les, Sarah, Andy, Andy, Andy, David and The Court Jesters.

No comments:

Post a Comment