Thursday 16 December 2010

It's a little bit chilly !!

Back home on the farm it has been difficult to get back in the swing of things- however, it seems that in general I am not needed around the place, except when bills are to pay.

The dairy herd has done tremendously well this year thanks to good management by the staff on farm and a better milk price from our milk purchaser.
We have supplied Caledonian Cheese Company in Stranraer for the past 3 years, they have been very good to us, but our payment this time last year was about 5ppl lower than it is now, this is a whopping £60,000 difference if applied to all our production.
The "swing" in price is something that seems endemic to the cheese price and so I have made the momentous decision to move away from this buyer and supply milk to Grahams Family Dairy in Stirling- the only thing is I need to change the breed of most of my cows from what we have now, Jersey x Holstein cows (see here)




To completely Jersey cows like these (but a bit better)


This change is all set for January so they will be settled in nicely before I head off on my next trip to India on my next Nuffield Trip.

I am really looking forward to supplying Grahams and I hope this is the start of a long and fruitful relationship for both companies.
www.grahamsfamilydairy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment